Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday (2)

 Each week the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish host a Top Ten list based on a certain bookish topic. Other bloggers are able to join in and post their own top ten answers. Here are my answers to:


Top ten books I bought because of their covers:



1.PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES, by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.
I love everything about this cover, and when I saw it on the bookshelf at Angus and Robertson I knew I had to have it, regardless of whether or not I liked the whole "mish-mashing of classics with 'new-age' ideas" craze that was happening at the time. (I do now.)







2. A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY, by Libba Bray
It's such a simple, fitting concept. Altogether the photograph is lovely, as it the model's pose. It definitely caught my eye, especially since it's coupled with such a great title. (See what I did there?)







3. WILDWOOD DANCING, by Juliet Marillier
Have you ever seen anything so enchanting? The colours are gorgeous, and her hair, her hair. All the details are just so beautiful. And of course the book itself is fantastic.








4. IMAGINARY GIRLS, by Nova Ren Suma
The angle of the photo, the red ribbon wrapped around her arm, the blurred text: all those things intrigued me. What did they symbolize? Did they symbolize anything at all? Then when I flipped the book over and read the synopsis I immediately wanted to go home and read it, because it just sounded so amazing. 


   

5. GHOSTGIRL, by Tonya Hurley
There is something undeinably fun about this cover, in an almost morbid kind of way. I think what got me the most was the silhouette - presumably of "Ghostgirl" herself - with her crazy hair, and the actual size of the book. It was so different to anything I had come across before.







6. THE GHOST'S CHILD, by Sonya Hartnett
It's whimsical, and pretty, and I love how there are only a few colours that have been used. Bonus points for the fact that it's hardcover.









7. THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (1-7), by C.S Lewis
I had already read all seven books individually prior to purchasing this particular omnibus version, which I simply couldn't resist when I saw the cover. Just look at the lion (Aslan), and how his mane is made of fiery-looking swirls. 








8. TWILIGHT, by Stephenie Meyer
It's such a simple cover: a pair of pales hands holding an apple, and yet... There is something undeniably captivating about it. And of course there is the great combination of white, black and red which has become very popular.







9. PRETTY MUCH EVERY POPULAR PENGUIN THERE IS, by various authors
They're $9.99, for one thing. And they're retro orange. I adore retro orange. I have a stack of these, even though I have plenty of other copies.





10. EVERY (ADULT) CLOTHBOUND PENGUIN THERE IS, by various authors 
They're so, so, so pretty. And hardcover. When I first saw them, taking up a whole wall just by themselves at Borders, it was as though someone had gone into my head, combined my love of hardcovers, classics, patterns and colour and created these. They're books made in heaven. 

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I love your list! Especially Price and Prejudice and Zombies, and The Ghost's Child. Imaginary Girls made my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love those retro orange Penguin book covers too!! I just bought that kind of a copy of The Great Gatsby and I find it very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, love the clean lines and graphics! And a fellow Aussie, yes? Does great things for my homesick heart!

    I totally agree: the Twilight cover is really lovely. There's a great sense of quiet grace to it too.

    I like the covers to Imaginary Girls and The Ghosts Child, very intriguing!

    Here's my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen those cloth bound penguins. They are so pretty.

    I was just talking with someone about Libba Bray and she could not think of what Bray wrote besides beauty queens. It was a Great And Terrible Beauty.

    I like this idea. I can never do Top Ten Tuesdays, but think I may do this Top 10 Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
  5. :O How could I forget to add Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to my list? That was definitely a book I had to buy because of the cover. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on the Penguin books! I'm always tempted to buy one even if I've never read or heard of the book simply because how much I adore the covers.

    Alison at The Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think A Great and Terrible Beauty is the most gorgeous cover I've ever seen. It was on my list too. I also bought Ghost Girl for my cousin because of the cover. And I now have to go find all of those Penguin books. They are freaking gorgeous!

    Lindsey @ babiesbooksandsigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the clothbound penguins! I may have to start looking for a few copies to buy. I have to say, though, that my favorite classics collection is the Oxford World Classics Hardcovers. The covers are in solid pastel colors so they're not exactly 'gorgeous' but I love their miniature size.

    And this is off topic but I had to comment on how similar our names are! My middle name is Marie instead of Mary and my last name is Lambert not Lamb, but still. I thought it was funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" cover is my favorite =)

    ReplyDelete